Tuesday 30 June 2015

A-Z Silhouette Series

Yesterday I posted the final papercut that completed the ongoing A-Z silhouette series, almost 4 weeks after I posted the first silhouette of David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust. His familiar face was cut from black card; the simple image proving more effective than I had anticipated.

Ziggy Stardust - Lana Del Rey

Ziggy was shortly followed by a 1960's Bob Dylan, with distinctive shades and harmonica, and singer Lana Del Rey. Originally cut from black card, I decided pink card with glitter details would better convey Rey's girlish naivety.

Bob Dylan - Alex Turner

By now I was finding it more interesting to cut contemporary faces (we've all seen endless products covered with the faces of Audrey Hepburn and James Dean) such as Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys. I could've cut infinite faces (there are many writers, musicians, and artists who I admire greatly), but I knew I needed to narrow the project down.

Daniel Glover - Mikaela Evans

I cut out the faces of musician Daniel Glover and writer Mikaela Evans, who I have contact with via twitter. This allowed me to share the papercuts with them and receive immediate feedback. Their positive responses (Glover shared the papercut on his facebook page) confirmed my intentions to continue with the project.

I settled on an achievable A-Z series and made a list of current popular figures, balancing it almost 50/50 male/female. Who would I cut out for X?! I decided to figure that one out later...

  Harry Potter - Jameela Jamil

I photographed all of the silhouettes in the same style: against a white background beside my gold peacock scissors. I knew consistency was important to tie all of the images together as one complete series.

My favourite papercuts of the A-Z silhouette series:

 Queen Elizabeth ii - Stephen Fry

  Taylor Swift - Idris Elba

The complete A-Z silhouette series is made up of 26 28 papercuts (2 D's and 2 Lana Del Rey's). The series can be viewed in full here.

Which are your favourite silhouettes of the series?

Until next week...

-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment