Tuesday 28 July 2015

Finding Inspiration

For the past few weeks I've been uninspired and unmotivated, which is beyond frustrating. And so this post is filled with a few of the things that I've been looking to in order to find that elusive inspiration.

1) Rob Ryan YouTube videos. I love Rob Ryan. He's an endless inspiration, not least because his work has been adapted to many mediums including ceramics, textiles and jewellery. In the handful of videos on YouTube he comes across as a genuinely nice, down-to-earth guy (phew!).

 Handmade Portraits: Rob Ryan.

2) Books. I am a huge bookworm so of course I would turn to books in my hour of need. 'Papercutting' compiled by Laura Heyenga is a good collection of temporary paper cut artists. I also have a few Rob Ryan books (naturally), but the book that has inspired me of late is 'The Crafter's Guide to Papercutting' by Emily Hogarth. 

L) Favourite papercutting books - R) Artwork cut from a Hogarth template

3) New kit. Recently I've picked up a few new bits of kit, including: Swann Morton no. 3 handle, 10a blades, bone folder, 160gsm card, and a metal ruler pinched from my dad's garage... As the saying goes a poor craftsman blames his tools, but the art of papercutting does require a few basic but essential tools.

Swann Morton no. 3 handle with 10a blade - artwork cut from Hogarth templates

4) Visiting craft fairs. It's really important to get away from your desk and see what other crafters have been busy creating... While craft fairs are a great excuse to eat cake, they are also invaluable for gathering ideas on how to present products and considering fair pricing. My favourite fair to date was the Summer Market at the Roundhouse.

L) Summer Market at the Roundhouse, Derby - R) Carla Dodsley ceramics at Bird in Borrowed Feathers mini market, Nottingham

5) Friends. Friends who already have very full lives, but are still pursuing further exciting ventures... If that's not the ultimate inspiration, I don't know what is.

Where do you find inspiration?

Until next week...

-Karen

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your knowledge on the Paper Cutting Blade that makes this blog useful in the machinery tool, thanks.
    This is really an informative blog.
    Paper Cutting Blade

    ReplyDelete